So, you are heading to Penang this year for vacation? Well, congratulate yourself for making an excellent choice! However, if this is your first trip to Penang, you must know how to maximize your Penang travel experience and discover and enjoy everything about the wonderful city. It can be a bit confusing if going to Penang for the first time. You would have little clue as to what attractions to explore and which hotel in Penang to book. While it is perfectly okay to make a couple of mistakes as a first timer, it is always better to go a little more prepared beforehand. Read on to get some good advice and avoid the common mistakes made to enjoy a much fuller and happier vacation.
When to visit Penang?
A lot will rely on what you are interested to see and the weather. January to February, are the hottest months while the rest of the year enjoys the comfortable climate and lots of rains. If you are interested in celebrations such as Thaipusam, Chinese New Year, then be there in January and February. As Penang remains humid all year long, bring summer clothes.
When to stay in Penang?
Most visitors prefer to go to Georgetown, that is located on the northeast tip of Penang island. The backpackers prefer Chulia Street that is known to boast of a large number of travel agencies and bars. Browse hotel booking websites to take advantage of great deals and make a booking for a comfortable and affordable stay. There are flophouses, guesthouses and cheap private rooms along with luxury 5-star hotels.
Moving around in Penang
The traditional way to arrive in Penang is by the car and pedestrian ferry. When moving around, one can pick from a range of transportation such as cars rental, buses, taxi, trishaw or even motorcycle. Depending on your budget and your choice, the cars and taxis are seen to be more suitable, especially if you have to travel a little distance to explore the hidden gems of Penang.
What to do and see in Penang
There are plenty of must-see attractions that should be there on your itinerary. Here is a handpicked selection that covers the essence of the island.
- A visit to Penang Hill offers a welcome break from the heat below. Make it to the top onboard the funicular train to enjoy breathtaking views of the whole island.
- Kek Lok Si Temple is the largest Buddhist temple and stands on top of a hill. Enjoy looking at the beautifully-landscaped gardens and sacred temples made in Chinese and Burmese styles.
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion represents the Chinese architecture from the 18th and 19th-century. Explore its granite courtyards, mansions and rooms when taking those guided tours.
- It is a must to spend a few hours at Escape Adventureland Penang, which is a remarkable park specializing in zip-lining and other fun activities such as free fall and inner-tube slide plus a tree rope swing.
- Head for the fine beaches of Batu Ferringhi which are amongst the most popular Penang travel destinations. Gear up for various water sports like water-scouter riding, jet-skiing. Para-sailing and Banana Boating.
- Your Penang travel experience would not be complete without a good bowl of fried Fried Koay Teow and Assam Laksa. It is moist to try the Penang street food.
- Don’t leave without indulging in some shopping. The areas to explore are Penang Times Square, Straits Quay, Gurney Plaza, Queensbay Mall and First Avenue.
- End your trip with a visit to the famous Batu Ferringhi night market. Shop for souvenirs and enjoy great food. It is indeed one of the most popular activity in Penang.